Friday, December 18, 2009

The Light


It was pitch black. The silence was uncanny. How could silence be described as deafening? Yet it was. Almost as if the silence pressed against my ears, and became a roaring noise. Strange, but true. I was hundreds of feet below the surface of the earth in Mammoth Cave.


The features of the cave appeared 'other-worldly.' From stalactites and stalagmites to rivers and lakes, I was amazed by everything that existed in this underground cavern. Our tour guide had brought us to this portion of the cave to demonstrate the utter darkness that would surround us if all the lights were extinguished. Unable to make out my hand in front of my face, I was convinced! When the lights were turned on, the darkness was dispelled. With light once again flooding our path, we finished our exploration of the cave. Although this experience was lived out over thirty years ago, the memory of the temporary darkness in the cave left a lasting impression on me.


This week we had a special Christmas party for the children at our church who participate in the Awana program. It is a tremendous program that evangelizes and disciples children, encouraging them in their walk with Jesus Christ. I was captivated by the Director's message. As he read the account of the Christmas story from Luke 2, he brought up the fact that Jesus is the Light of the world. I was reminded of my 'cave' experience.


Just like the lights dispelled the darkness in Mammoth Cave, Jesus came to this earth to dispel the darkness. He acknowledged, "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life" (John 8:12, KJV). Unfortunately, not everyone wants to trade his/her darkness for Jesus' light. "And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil" (John 3:19). If they could only comprehend the great exchange that would take place upon laying down their darkness for God's marvelous light. Everlasting life spent with the Light of the world could be theirs. In Jesus' words, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved" (John 3:16-17).


Although He came as a babe in a manager, He came to be the Light that would point us to the Father. He came to "seek and to save that which was lost" (Luke 19:10). What will you do with this gift of salvation He's extending to you? Will you move from darkness to the Light? He's beckoning you. His plans for you are great. "For I know the thoughts I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end" (Jeremiah 29:11).


If you've already accepted this amazing gift of salvation by grace through faith, will you be faithful to share the Light of the world with those who are still in darkness around you? The baby we celebrate this Christmas season, came "To give knowledge of salvation unto his people by the remission of their sins, Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high hath visited us, To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace" (Luke 1:77-79). Give the best gift this season! The gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ - the Light of the world!

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful illustration! I've done the cave tour thing, and you are right, it is dark and the silence IS deafening. Amazing what one teeny little light can do. Blessings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the analogy of the cave. It's the perfect time of year to let our light shine.

    Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen - Since you've been there,you probably remember the part when they tell you to hold your breath once they've turned out the lights. Well, here's the rest of my story - after about 10 seconds into the deafening silence, I burst out laughing and ruined it for the 50-some other tourists!! Have a great weekend!

    Jill - Thanks for letting your light shine! A very Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We loved our trip to Mammoth Caves. I love this analogy, Maria. And I love celebrating the light! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful, Maria! Sharing God's light all year through is a task I take to heart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather - I hope I'll be able to return to Mammoth Caves some day. I was probably 8 or 9 years old the last time we visited. God bless you and your family as you celebrate Him this Christmas!

    Eileen - Thank you for being a light to those you come into contact with! Our amazing God is definitely worth sharing all year round! A very merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful analogy! I remember living in that darkness. The light was scary, because it was different, because I had to face things. I am so glad I took that first step toward the light! Jesus scooped me up into his arms, and my feet haven't touched the ground since!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lily - Thanks so much for sharing your experience! What a great word picture, "Jesus scooped me up into his arms, and my feet haven't touched the ground since! God's richest blessing on you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to be in a cave like that. What a cool experience!

    You're so right--He is the light of the world. He is why we celebrate, not a winter solstice. Have a merry Christmas, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristen - I would highly recommend a guided cave tour. Hoping I can go back to these same caves some day. Enjoy the Light of the world this Christmas!! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for reflecting the light for US Maria. You do a beautiful job of being 'light' to those around you too with your words and example.
    Blessings and Love from me :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't have a cave experience, but a couple weeks ago we were out in building where we have Sunday school, decorating our door for Christmas. The electricity went out and it was pitch dark. In a few mintues someone came to check on the building. I thought he had a big flashlight it shined so bright. He was way down at the end of the hall. But how that flashlight shined to show us the way. Come to find out it was a cell phone. He had turned it on and with that little bit of light we were shown the way out. Thanks for your post. It makes me think that sometimes we as Christian are not making a difference in this darken world but we are a little light in the world and if we let our light shine someone will find the way and be led out of darkness into the marvelous light of salvation. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dorothy - You're such an encourager! Thank you for your sweet words. Great to know there are fellow believers letting their 'lights' shine all across the world! God's best!

    Aliene - Thanks for sharing your story! Amazing how such a small light really does dispell the darkness! Thank you for letting your light shine this Christmas season and always! Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maria, I love the cave comparison. We have taken home-school trips to visit caves. They're wonderful.

    I thought I'd pop in and wish you and your family a merry Christmas. I'm unplugging until the 31st. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a similar experience yrs ago when I visited my mother in PR. She lives on top of a hill. I walked downhill to visit a church at the bottom. After service, it was dark, no street lamps, no car lights, and like you I couldn't see my hand in front of me. I couldn't even see my footsteps or the road. I was walking blind. It was a little scary. It was so quiet, I could hear my heart beating faster. I thought I was going to fall in a ditch by the curve. Jesus was and will always be my light in the middle of darkness, no matter how dark it gets. Have a great Sunday Mari! hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. His gift is the greatest gift given. Without it I would have nothing, be nothing. He is the Light that shines in the darkness and the darkness cannot comprehend it. Love that. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Robyn - Thanks for the Christmas well-wishes! God's richest blessings to you and your family! Give Christopher a hug for me!

    Ellie - Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like it would have been a bit unnerving! It IS so good to know that Jesus will always be with us no matter how dark our circumstances seem. Merry, merry Christmas, Ellie! :)

    Sarah - Welcome! You are absolutely right: "His gift is the greatest gift given!" Thanks so much for stopping by! Looking forward to getting to know you! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I take this opportunity to thank you for your posts, the encouragement they have been. May I also wish you and your family a very happy Christmas. Many blessings. xxx

    ReplyDelete