Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dinner's Ready!



They returned today. Birds of all varieties filled the trees, each waiting for its turn at the feeder.  Beautiful birds. Colorful birds. Downy woodpeckers, cardinals and chickadees. Our feeder has remained empty for quite some time. Once filled, it took our bird-friends a few days to realize they could feast in our neck of the woods once again. The promise of nourishing seed awaits each bird that chooses to eat.

Our feeder, chock-full of tasty seed, reminds me of God’s Word, ready to provide sustenance to all who will come and partake. Jesus invites us, “I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst” (John 6:35; KJV). His ‘feast’ will truly bring nourishment and satisfaction to our souls.

Even as our feathered friends have access to our feeder day and night, we also have access to our Heavenly Father anytime. We have a standing invitation from our Savior to come boldly to His throne of grace, “…that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need” (Hebrews 4:16). Unlike businesses that maintain set hours, the Bible shares numerous accounts of those who cried out to God ‘after hours.’ “Arise, cry out in the night: in the beginning of the watches pour out thine heart like water before the face of the Lord:” (Lamentations 2:19). The prophet, Isaiah, sought God at both ends of the spectrum. “With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early:” (Isaiah 26:9).

What do you stand in need of today? Hope, encouragement, direction? Do you hear Him calling your name? Pull up a chair at God’s ‘table’ and let His Word rejuvenate your soul! You won’t go hungry!

“O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him” (Psalm 34:8).

*A re-post from 2/2010.




*I'm hosting over at Living by Grace today. Come join in the discussion!

4 comments:

  1. Okay - that is the 3rd time in less than 24 hours that God's given me the picture of pulling up to His table...think I better start listening to what He's trying to say:)

    Beautiful post, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Wow - don't you love it when God works that way? Enjoy your 'feast'! Hugs and blessings, my friend!

      Delete
  2. Great post! I live in the woods, and now every time I see a bird I'll think of this message. I've done my share of "after-hours" prayer. So thankful He hears us no matter when we call!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Melissa! Sounds like you live in a lovely location. It's so fun to be surrounded by the Lord's creation. Thankful along with you that 'He hears us no matter when we call!' Have a fantastic week enjoying those birds! :)

      Delete