Saturday, August 8, 2009

Passion

We had no idea that we'd encounter a medieval-style battle when we set out on our bike ride in the evening. The refreshingly cool, Michigan air inspired my husband, daughter and I to slip on warm clothes and begin pedaling toward the Midland tridge. With each revolution of the pedals, familiar places reminded me of days gone by: my best friend's house where I'd often spent the night, the elementary school I used to attend, the route my school bus used to take when I was in junior high and high school. Lots of memories, good memories.

As we biked across the tridge (a bridge that touches land in three locations), we could hear faint strains of Celtic music. It didn't seem like an ordinary evening. Unusual weapons littered the ground and several people were fighting what appeared to be a medieval battle. Naturally our curiosity was piqued. As we pulled out the video camera to capture the odd 'battle' being enacted before us, one of the participants asked us if we'd like to join them. Although we didn't join in their sport, one of the young men enthusiastically gave us a brief history of Dagorhir.

Over 30 years ago, a group of college friends who shared a passion for J.R.R. Tolkein's, Lord of the Rings and medieval history began the combat-driven battlegame that was given the name, Dagorhir, meaning battle lords. According to the Dagorhir website, "combatants engage each other in battle with boffer weapons and foam-padded shields." Each member makes a costume, which can include armor, and 'safe' weapons for use at scheduled battles.

The young man explained that Dagorhir was a LARP - a live action role playing game. He had taken the name, Omega, and was so passionate about his character that he willingly had the Greek omega symbol tattooed on his chest. I was gripped by the fact that he made it clear that this was his passion and he spent his free time participating in these battlegames all over the country.

As we continued our bike ride, I began to think about what I am passionate about. Paul wrote about his passion in I Thessalonians 2:4 But as we were allowed of God to be put in trust with the gospel, even so we speak; not as pleasing men, but God, which trieth our hearts. (KJV) Do I consider it a privilege to share the gospel with those I come into contact with? If someone can get so excited about a game that is mere role-playing, why is it so difficult for us to get excited about what God has done for us in real life? I want my passion to point others to Christ and His saving grace. What's your passion?

No comments:

Post a Comment