Monday, November 26, 2012

An Interview with Alene Snodgrass - Author of Graffiti




For the past several weeks I've had the privilege of taking a writing course, Tribe Writers, taught by Jeff Goins. Not only have I learned a lot, but I've also been blessed to meet some fantastic people! Today I have the pleasure of introducing you to my new friend, Alene Snodgrass. So grab your favorite beverage and enjoy reading about this amazing lady!

Maria: Welcome to Life Lessons, Alene! Tell us a bit about yourself:

Alene: I grew up in south Texas, married a military man, traveled the world for 23 years, had three children, and then ended up back in south Texas. I went from a country girl to a suburban girl. I love my camera. There are days when I could live behind the lens just capturing life. There is nothing like a photo that takes your breath away with a story.

Maria: How did you get started as a writer?

Alene: I began writing in 2007 at the prompting of friends. It was a struggle for me, because all I could remember was cheating my way through English in college and all those red F’s. But I took baby steps and followed the dream that was being birthed within my soul.

Maria: I'm glad you pursued your dream! How has your relationship with Jesus Christ impacted your writing?

Alene: My writing has only came about because of the love I have for Jesus. When the nudging became so strong to write and I knew in my own weakness I couldn't, there were years that I put off writing. It wasn't until I was convicted that delaying my obedience was being disobedient. I became diligent in writing at that point and published my first study Dirty LaundrySecrets.

Maria: Give us a sneak peek into your eBook, Graffiti: scribbles from different sides of the street:

Alene: Graffiti is dear to my heart. Three years ago I left my nice, fancy church to begin serving at a church in the inner city. I had been there for a few months when I met Rick, a homeless man. We became great friends and we both loved to write. Our friendship grew as we began sharing writings and the stories of our lives. I learned so much from Rick. The most important thing being that it doesn't matter that we think we don’t have much in common with those that are “different” and from “the other side of the street," we are more alike than we know. It’s a beautiful story and one that is told in Graffiti.

Maria: It's amazing what God teaches us when we follow Him in obedience! What do you hope readers glean from your book?

Alene: I believe in this message so much. I think most of us living in America live lives too comfortably. We get caught up in our daily routines and schedules, while missing so many in need around us. It doesn't have to be the homeless; it can be your neighbor across the street that needs a hand. This book challenges us all to live in the moment, keep our eyes open to those we can help, and then step out of our comfort zones to help meet their needs.

Maria: Challenging stuff! What steps can we take to step outside our comfort zones?

Alene: For each of us it will be different. I used to think I had to be a missionary in a foreign land, but that is not what Christ actually teaches. He says start in your own neighborhoods and streets - see those who you can serve and then do so. Yes, the homeless need help. But so do our neighbors across the street, children in our children’s classrooms, single moms, and sometimes even the elderly or disabled in the grocery store. Needs are everywhere. We have to slow ourselves down and peek out from behind our comfortable zones to see.

Maria: You're absolutely right, Alene! What words of wisdom would you like to leave with our readers?

Alene: Many I often visit with are looking for meaning and purpose in their life. They are looking to gain significance through material things, more money, and even a title at work. They seek and search for more and more. But the odd thing about our purpose is that it will show up when we get our eyes off ourselves and begin serving others. I know we've been taught to chase the American dream for fulfillment, but really it is in helping others that our true purpose is found. 

Maria: Thanks for those words of truth! It's been a pleasure interviewing you and getting the message out about your new eBook, Graffiti! I look forward to hearing how God uses it to impact the lives of those who read it! God bless you!

Connect with Alene:
alenesnodgrass@gmail.com



Great news! November 26th - 30th, Alene is giving away over $75.00 worth of resources FREE to anyone who buys Graffiti. If you buy the book this week, she'll send you nine resources as a gift. Here's all you need to do:

1. Buy the book for $3.99 BEFORE November 30th.
2. Email a copy of your receipt to graffitibookgifts@gmail.com When you buy it, just forward the Amazon email receipt you get. Do not submit questions there. If you have a question, email alenesnodgrass@gmail.com.
3. Check your email and enjoy your resources!

*Alene Snodgrass is an energetic and motivational  Christian speaker, Bible teacher, and author. Her relevant messages and Bible studies have created drastic changes in the lives of people, as well as helped many step out to serve the broken, abused, and downhearted in their communities. She is the author of Dirty Laundry Secrets - a journey to meet the Launderer, and I'm a Fixer-Upper - a day-by-day remodeling guide

Alene has been published in numerous books, online publications and writes regularly for WHOA Magazine. She serves as the Bible Studies director at Bay Area Fellowship Westside Campus in Corpus Christi, Texas - a church that ministers in the inner city.




*I'm hosting over at Living by Grace today. Are you ready to take a step outside your comfort zone? Come join in the discussion!

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had quite a journey Alene. Good luck with Graffiti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Staci!! If you haven't had the opportunity to read Alene's book, you're in for a treat and a challenge! Have a blessed week! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you Staci -- YES!!! God certainly interrupted my comfortable plan for a life. And I am thankful -- He's plan is always SO much better.

      Delete
  2. "I think most of us living in America live lives too comfortably. We get caught up in our daily routines and schedules, while missing so many in need around us."

    This is so true. Thanks for bringing this message to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. I was just telling someone today -- I still don't have this figured out. I challenge myself daily to step out. Comfortable is just too easy to live in.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting, Tammy! I can definitely relate to living comfortably and getting caught up in my daily routine. Thanks for challenging us to leave our comfort zones, Alene!

      Delete
  3. Maria What an awesome website!
    Thank you for inviting me over. I LOVE YOUR INTERVIEW! I have the book, haven’t read it yet but will soon. It has moved up in priority because of your interview. I want to know more about Rick and more about Alene's story.
    Glad you put it on the TW fb page, and I’m glad you asked me to “grab your favorite beverage and enjoy reading about this amazing lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marilyn -- fellow TW!! I'd love your feedback after you read. It's a message I'm passionate about. One I challenge myself daily with. Thanks for your encouraging words.

      Delete
    2. Welcome, Marilyn! Thanks so much for you sweet words of encouragement! So glad you've gotten your copy of Alene's book - I know you'll be challenged by it.

      Have a blessed week my friend!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED your interview. And Alene's book is great! Thanks for letting us get to know Alene a little better through your interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! So glad you enjoyed the interview! Alene is an inspiration. I appreciate her challenge to leave our comfort zones. Be blessed this week! Hugs~

      Delete
  6. I love the cover of your book - and the message! My challenge is right here in my neighborhood, stepping out of the comfort of my own home. I've always been one who struggles to communicate with others, but as God has shown them to me through His eyes, I've begun to do just that. He's ever so faithful and so much bigger than my fears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!! That is the point of Graffiti -- it doesn't have to be the streets where I met Rick, it can be your neighbors across the street and be just as scary. Those comfort zones are just too . . . comfortable. :) Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Great to see you Susan! Wonderful to hear how you're taking advantage of the opportunities to serve others in your neighborhood. Thanks for the reminder that our God is bigger than all of our fears!! Hugs & Blessings! :)

      Delete
  7. Fun to get to know Alene a bit more :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Life Lessons, Amy!! Glad you enjoyed getting to know Alene. Hope you have the opportunity to read her book! Have a blessed week.

      Delete
  8. A wonderful interview that brought me closer to Alene!

    Looking forward to posting my Graffiti review on my new blog!

    Maria and Alene, you are both great role models to follow, as well as great teachers!

    Alene you inspire me to be different! To see others with God's eyes and be God's hands that touch someone with love!

    Graffiti and you have blesseld my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Katina! So good to see you! Thank you for your sweet words about the interview. I look forward to reading your post about Alene's book! Have a super week! Hugs & God bless!

      Delete
  9. Wow, interesting interview Maria. She lives what the Bible teaches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Marja! You'd love her book, Graffiti! Hope you have a chance to read it! Have a blessed week. Hugs to you! :)

      Delete