Tuesday, November 20, 2012

True Satisfaction






Who can deny that food and holidays go together? Thanksgiving is no exception. Spending time with dear family members can only be made sweeter by a table laden with food. My mouth is already watering in anticipation of all the delectable things that will make up the Thanksgiving Day feast.

I imagine myself loading my plate with all kinds of goodies - pumpkin pie topped with real whipped cream, just a sliver of the pecan pie, and oh, I can't pass by the apple bread without having just a little. A dessert connoisseur's dream. But in this dream of mine, something is missing. Food that will truly nourish my body. If my plate is loaded solely with sweets, it'll only be a matter of time before my body craves what it really needs - proper nutrients. You know, the ones found in the turkey, green beans, squash, and cranberry relish, also on the table.

When fueled with the appropriate balance of food, my body is able to function properly. The problem: sometimes I fall prey to eating the things that sound good to me, rather than those that are good for me.

Thanksgiving wouldn't be the same without taking time to reflect on the past year's blessings. However, in a rush to finish cleaning the house, prepare the mid-day meal, and welcome family, I sometimes leave out what I really need - time spent with my Savior; praising Him for His goodness. Time allowing Him to orchestrate my days in such a way that balance is restored during a time that tends to get chaotic.

Consider the beautiful metaphor spoken by Jesus himself, "I am the the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst," (John 6:35). Sweets cannot satisfy my body's hunger, neither can my soul be satisfied in living a life apart from Christ.

As you get together with friends and family this year, and put the finishing touches on your Thanksgiving Day feast, remember to make plenty of room for what will truly satisfy - the Lord, Jesus Christ!

Prayer: Heavenly Father, Thank You for who You are! Thank You for the blessings you pour out in my life. Help me to enjoy a time of worshiping and praising You this Thanksgiving - remembering that it IS all about You. In Jesus' name, Amen.



*I'm hosting over at Living by Grace today. Come join in the discussion!


A re-post from 11/2011

4 comments:

  1. Great thoughts, Maria.

    I always get up early to prepare the bird. Everyone else is still sleeping. I take my time to thank God at this time. It's "our" special time together on Thanksgiving Day before the mayhem of family and company and football in one house begins.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Maria!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Maria. "Sweets cannot satisfy my body's hunger, neither can my soul be satisfied in living a life apart from Christ." Very true. Sometimes I wonder if each day in Heaven is like the feast we celebrate each year. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria,
    Happy Thanksgiving! I pray you have a wonderful day.
    Enjoyed your post and as always thought provoking.
    Hoping I will get to Georgia early next year and we will meet up again.
    Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete