Monday, July 13, 2009

Balance

I have to admit that I have a hard time keeping my life balanced. When I think about it, it's incredible that God gives us the ability to juggle so many things on a daily basis. It's very easy to be absorbed in a project to the point that several other important things are neglected. Housework is one area that doesn't make it to the top of my list unless company is coming over. I would much rather write, make phone calls, or run any number of errands as opposed to picking up a dust cloth or the dreaded toilet brush. Don't get me wrong, things stay staightened up for the most part, just don't drop in on me with your white glove, or you'll know what I'm talking about! Yesterday, I was made aware of another area I'd neglected.

In addition to spending time in prayer and Bible study, exercising, blogging on a regular basis, and doing some other writing, I still need to feed my family, keep up with the laundry, help with yard work, take care of pets...and the list goes on. By the end of last week, I realized my 17-year old would be leaving for Youth Conference on Monday. She had been doing her own thing and I had been doing mine. 'Things' had been accomplished, but since I was absorbed in my schedule, the 'people' in my life hadn't gotten much of my attention.

Only when faced with an argument, did I slow down enough to table my agenda and seek God's wisdom for how He'd have me respond. Proverbs 3:5-6 reminded me: "5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." (KJV) Funny how easy it is to drift toward 'our own understanding' when things seem to be going well. When we hit a bump in the road, however, we're brought back to the reality of our need for a great God.

Following our conversation, I was humbled when my daughter came to my room and asked me to pray with her. Oh, how I constantly need to communicate with my Heavenly Father so I can speak "the truth in love." (Eph. 4:15, KJV) I was also reminded of the importance of communication within my family so that we're all on the same page. Open, honest communication needs to be a part of my daily life. I need to balance the things God has given me to do, with the family God has given me to enjoy. It's that important!

No comments:

Post a Comment