Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Plugged In

I like to exercise. More often then not, it's part of my daily routine. We have enough gym equipment in our basement, that I've toyed with the idea of selling memberships. Not really, but the variety of equipment does give me a lot of options when I head down the stairs to work out.

Some days I feel like using the eliptical machine for my cardio workout, and other days I step onto the treadmill for a challenging 'wog' - something between a walk and a jog. As I laced up my gym shoes this morning, I opted to use the treadmill. As I positioned myself on the treadmill with anticipation, I pushed the 'start' button. Nothing happened. I pressed again, thinking I may not have pushed hard enough. Still nothing. I glanced down to make sure the treadmill was plugged in. It was. Since we've only had it for a year and a half, I didn't think it was something major. I unplugged it, and found that the ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) switch needed to be reset. Although the treadmill was plugged in and the power was flowing, it had been interrupted and was unable to power the treadmill. Once the GFCI switch was reset, the treadmill was good to go - so was I.

I got to thinking that I'm often like my treadmill. I was created for a specific purpose and while I may look fine on the outside, when I'm called on to do the things God created me to do, I'm unable to do them. My 'switch' needs to be reset in order for me to once again have His 'power' supply flowing through me.

Years ago, I heard a quote at a Pregnancy Care Center Conference that I'll never forget, "If you're not plugged into the Source, you have nothing to give." How often do I try to offer a word of encouragement, meet the needs of someone, or simply try to live life without staying connected to my Heavenly Father. John 15:5 is a great reminder: "I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing." (KJV)

Without His power in my life, I'm operating on my own strength and based on His word, I'm unable to do anything of true worth. When I have lots to accomplish and make the decision to skip spending time with God in prayer and Bible study, I'm cutting off my power supply, and my 'switch' needs to be reset.

How do I stay plugged into the Source and avoid things that cut off His power supply? By reading His word, submitting to His will, praying for direction, and following Him. Does your 'switch' need to be reset? Stay plugged into the Source, so you have something to give.

1 comment:

  1. That reminds me of the time I had my cell phone plugged into the charger but awoke to find that it was not plugged into the wall! It, too, reminded me that often, I can think I'm "plugged in" but if I'm not hooked up to the Power Source of the Holy Spirit, it won't do me any good. Great insight Maria. I love how you and I can find spiritual applications in everyday things. God sends us awesome GodStops each day if we're only willing to look out for them. :)

    ReplyDelete