Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Whose Words?

It's not very big. It serves a big purpose. According to my dictionary, it's the principal organ of taste, an important organ of speech, and moves to aid chewing and swallowing. It's the tongue. Last week I couldn't get away from it; not because it was attached to the inside of my mouth, but it seemed that whatever Bible study I picked up, the tongue and the speech it produces where the topic for the day. I don't believe in coincidence, so obviously God was trying to get my attention. He did.

You know the scenerio. You hear something negative about someone, you latch onto it, and before you know it, you're adding your own two cents about the person. Our tongues speak powerful words. With our tongues, we're able to tear down or build up. James 3:8-10 puts it this way: 8 But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. 9 Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. 10 Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. (KJV)

It's no secret that we all stuggle to harness the power of the tongue. I was well aware of the inward battle between flesh and spirit last week. Often times, I would blurt something out based on emotion, rather than realizing I didn't have all of the facts and committing to pray about the situation. I was reminded that even the great prophet, Isaiah, had issues with the things that came out of his lips. Isaiah 6:5 "Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; becuse I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts." (KJV)

Isaiah was able to identify his sinfulness when he saw God. I see my sinfulness when I see God through reading His word. If I were to complete Isaiah's statement, I would have to say, "Woe is me! For I am critical of others and expect perfection from them, while excusing myself." That's the ugly truth. Because of my pride, I gossip and say rude and unkind things to make myself feel better. I'm glad God can change all of that when I'm obedient to submit to His will.

God's desire is for me to use my mouth to praise Him and share His powerful truths with others. Paul wrote the following to the Corinthians, in 2 Corintians 4:13 "We having the same spirit of faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak;" There is something very powerful about the spoken word of God. If you think about it, God didn't just think the world into existence. He spoke it into existence. When Jesus was on the earth, He didn't refute the devil with His thoughts, He spoke His word to defeat him. He didn't heal with mere thoughts, He spoke His word out loud.

The same is true in our lives. We have the opportunity to choose to believe God's word and vocalize it. Instead of speaking my words, I'm determined that the truth of God's word comes from my lips. I challenge you to let the power of God's word come from your mouth today and be ready to praise Him for the outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment