Thursday, June 18, 2009

Compliments

Compliments make me feel good. Someone told me I looked nice yesterday, and it put a smile on my face. My husband and daughter thanked me for a tasty dinner last night. It made finding a new recipe, getting the ingredients, and putting a little extra effort into getting things in the crockpot in the morning - all worth while.

When I'm complimented and appreciated, it definitely gives me a desire to do the same for others. I think of a friend of mine who has a gift for encouragement. Do I let her know I appreciate that quality? Or the thoughtful friend who brings me my favorite Bath & Body Works hand soap. Do I just say a quick "thanks," or really take time to appreciate her by sending a card or meeting her for a cup of coffee.

Too often, I get side-tracked by my agenda and don't look at those around me for who they are and what they mean to me. It's about getting beyond me, and demonstrating the love of Christ to others. The Old Testament book of Leviticus reminds me in chapter nineteen, verse eighteen: thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. I can't deny that I love myself, after all, I take care of myself to the best of my ability - get the right amount of sleep, take vitamins, eat right (within reason - I can't deny my sweet tooth all the time!). The verse in Leviticus is challenging me, actually commanding me, to have that level of love for others.

I'm thankful that God's word assures me that "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13 (KJV). When I see others through His eyes of compassion, it makes that compliment so much easier to give. How will you choose to see others? Choose to give that compliment that will encourage someone's heart today.

No comments:

Post a Comment