Thursday, June 25, 2009

Reminded

What a beautiful morning! As I walked the last of the bags out to the trash can, I couldn't help but notice the gurgling sound of the water rushing by in the creek. Our dogs were extra affectionate this morning; leaning in close for snuggle-time. It was pleasantly cool for a summer day in late June in Georgia.

As I get busy about the things that I feel I need to accomplish for the day, it's easy to miss all the beautiful things God's created and all the ways He's working in His world. I was reminded today of the importance of taking the focus off of self and my needs and placing it on God, and simply praising Him for who He is.

Maybe you can relate to grabbing your Bible and seeing what God has for you today. Praying down that lengthy prayer list for your needs and those of friends and relatives, yet getting to the end of your quiet time and realizing you've not stopped to just thank Him for the great God that He is.

The prayer of praise is so powerful because it elevates God to His rightful position, and reminds us that everything was created by Him and for Him. Revelation 4:11 says, "Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created."

Struck by my lack of praise, I grabbed a hymnal and sang the words to a familiar old hymn:

I sing the mighty power of God, That made the mountains rise;
That spread the flowing seas abroad, And built the lofty skies.
I sing the wisdom that ordained The sun to rule the day;
The moon shines full at His command, And all the stars obey.

I sing the goodness of the Lord, That filled the earth with food;
He formed the creatures with His word, And then pronounced them good.
Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed, Where e'er I turn my eye,
If I survey the ground I tread, Or gaze upon the sky!

There's not a plant or flower below, But makes Thy glories known;
And clouds arise, and tempests blow, By order from Thy throne;
While all that borrows life from Thee is ever in Thy care,
And everywhere that man can be, Thou, God, art present there.

Isaac Watts, author of the powerful song, I Sing the Mighty Power of God, was in tune with His God and was inspired to write this song of praise. Today, my goal is to remember that it's all about Him and not about me. May I be a person of prayer, praise and thanksgiving to my most worthy God!

No comments:

Post a Comment