Monday, June 29, 2009

Wisdom Teeth

Friday was a big day for us. No, we weren't leaving for a fun-filled vacation, or shopping at the mall for all of the great sales; Riley was having her wisdom teeth removed. We had the initial consultation at the oral surgeon's office just one week prior to her surgery date.

Things have definitely changed since I had my wisdom teeth out - thankfully! Back in the dark ages, when I had the procedure done, I only had local anesthesia and don't remember having to take the assortment of medications that we were sent home with following Riley's surgery: two different pain medications, antibiotics, and steroids.

We were told Riley would experience quite a bit of pain the first couple of days with facial swelling. Most of Riley's friends who have endured wisdom teeth extractions, warned her that she'd probably be out of it for at least two days. Liquids and foods that are easy to swallow, like pudding, ice cream and applesauce would be her diet for several days.

We were pleasantly surprised when Riley was able to get into the car unassisted, following surgery. She wasn't out of it at all, and in fact carried on a coherent conversation as we drove home. She didn't need us to help her up the stairs into our house and only got light-headed after taking her first dose of pain medication. Fortunately, she was close to the couch!

Through the entire day, I was reminded of the power of prayer. God's word tells me to, "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God." Philippians 4:6 (KJV); and to cast all my care upon Him because He cares for me (I Peter 5:7). We had asked for prayer for Riley at our Wednesday evening church service. I posted a request for her on my Facebook page and on Twitter. I'm so thankful for all those who prayed - God answers!

Riley had minimal pain or facial swelling and was even able to sing a duet at church on Sunday evening. Our God is amazing. While I greatfully realize He doesn't always answer our prayers in the way we would like Him to; it's humbling to think of all the times He does! It's hard to imagine that the great God of the universe, who created everything, would love us so much that He'd desire to be intimately involved in the minute details of our lives. I'm thankful that we have a God who hears and answers prayer. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment